For Veterans and Active Military
Active and retired members of the armed forces do not necessarily have to go through the VA to get assistance for PTSD and other related issues.
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
To speak confidentially with a Vet Center Counselor at any time around the clock call:
NAMI partner programs like Army One Source and Make the Connection provide much-needed help for veterans and for those who treat them and their families.
Army OneSource – free web based courses designed to help those who interact with Veterans and Veteran families learn more about the military culture and traumas of war including:
- Understanding Military Family Issues (3 hours)
- Treating the Invisible Wounds of War (4 hours, available in Spanish)
- A primary Care Approach (1 hour)
- Issues of Women Returning from Combat (3 hours)
- Recognizing the Signs and Symptoms of TBI during Routine Eye Examinations (2 hours)
Sign up and create your own account. Make sure to enter your NAMI referral code: ASO-NAMI. Log in, go to ‘courses,’ and ‘register’ for the course you desire.
Make the Connection – The U.S. Government’s resource guide for veterans.
NAMI HomeFront – A free, 6 class education program for families, caregivers and friends of military servicemembers and vets living with a mental health condition.