What People are Saying about the Program
“You realize that he will never be the same having been through war. I learned how to treat him more as an adult than as a hurt child.”
“We are still friends with everyone that was in the class. There’s always an open ear and an open heart and a shoulder to cry on if you need it.”
NAMI Homefront is a free, 6 class education program for families, caregivers and friends of military servicemembers and vets living with a mental health condition.
NAMI Homefront is based off the nationally recognized NAMI Family-to-Family program. The program serves to address the well documented mental health needs of servicemembers following military services by providing their families with the information and skills to be a successful caregiver or provide support.
To educate and empower. The goal of NAMI Homefront is to provide support, skills and current information and resources for servicemembers and veterans. Specific elements include learning to:
- Manage crises, solve problems and communicate effectively
- Learn to care for yourself, including managing your stress
- Develop the confidence and stamina to support your family member with compassion
- Identify and access federal, state and local services
- Stay informed on the latest research and information on mental health, including posttraumatic stress disorder and substance abuse
- Understand current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- Navigate the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on the entire family
Who Leads the Program
A NAMI Homefront teacher is a trained NAMI leader. They play an important role in ensuring that all participants feel welcomed and supported. NAMI Homefront teachers are uniquely qualified to lead support groups because they love and support a service member living with a mental health condition and have experience with veteran services. Teachers, therefore, can empathize with and encourage those who are just beginning, or continuing their journey with a loved one. A NAMI Homefront teacher ensures that the class achieves the educational objectives.
How to Find the Program in your Community
How to Give Back
NAMI Homefront teachers are experienced Family-to-Family volunteers who become certified by attending a one hour phone training. NAMI Virginia does not currently have the capacity to host standalone NAMI Homefront trainings and the previous services with NAMI Family-to-Family is a requirement currently. To learn more about the training process, visit the NAMI Family-to-Family program page.