For years NAMI members and NAMI leaders have been searching for ways to strengthen the NAMI movement. NAMI members want NAMI to be a “household name” and a recognized and influential force in our communities. As part of a national effort to do just this, NAMI has implemented standards of operation for all levels (national, state, local) of NAMI termed Standards of Excellence. As such, state organizations and affiliates will be required to meet certain standards in order to continue to use the NAMI name and brand.
There are two phases to Standards of Excellence: first was the state organizations. NAMI Virginia met the requirements and was formally chartered with NAMI in 2012. The second phase focuses on affiliates and is termed re-affiliation. Similarly the focus of this phase is to help affiliates come in line with NAMI’s standards around operations, communication, financial management and record keeping. NAMI Virginia is currently working to create resources to assist affiliates with these steps, which will be housed on this page.
A few important points to make clear:
- NAMI has not announced or indicated a deadline for affiliates to become re-affiliated. If that changes and a deadline is announced it will be communicated. October 2016 Update: NAMI national is engaging in a conversation with affiliates and state organizations about the pros and cons of establishing deadlines for re-affiliation.
- As of July 2015, NAMI Virginia has endorsed only one NAMI affiliate Model: Model A (incorporated, operating independently as a 501c3). If other models are endorsed, this will be communicated.
- Coming into compliance with NAMI’s standards at the affiliate level will be similar and unique for each affiliate. Please realize it will be a learning process for both the affiliates and the state office. NAMI Virginia staff will be working as best as possible, within capacity and resources, to help affiliates with the re-affiliation process.
To begin to orient yourself to the process, please review the below resources. Note you will need a NAMI account (free) to access these documents.
- NAMI Standards of Excellence
- NAMI Affiliate Handbook
- NAMI Virginia Model A Affiliate Guidebook
- NAMI Affiliate Model Comparison (only Model A available in Virginia)
- NAMI’s Affiliation Agreement – a legal contract that all Affiliates pursing Model A will be required to sign with NAMI as the final step in the re-affiliation process.
- How to Complete the Re-affiliation Process: A Presentation from NAMI (July 2016)
- Documents required for re-affiliation – NAMI’s suggestions to state offices in reviewing affiliate materials for readiness for endorsement to be re-affiliated with NAMI.