Mental Health Advocacy
NAMI Virginia’s ongoing advocacy work builds support for public policies to protect and improve mental health services, increases access to mental health services in the public and private sectors and supports effective recovery services for adults and children/adolescents with mental illness.
A recognized leader in advocacy in Virginia, we engage in sustained, ongoing campaigns by utilizing science-based research and information, developing and/or providing grassroots input into policies, building and participating in coalitions, and ensuring that the personal experience of those who have been affected by mental illness are part of the public policy and advocacy process.
We do not provide one-on-one advocacy, case management, counseling, legal resources/services, or client advocacy. If you are seeking assistance in that area try our Resources & Support Section for suggestions on how to find help.
NAMI Virginia, our affiliates, volunteers and supporters are at the forefront of changing the mental health system and advocating for individuals and families in Virginia. Change is not possible without your support. See below for ways that you can become a NAMI Virginia advocate today.
- Sign up for our Action Alert Network so you can stay informed
- Find out who your legislator is
- Explore our Tools for Advocacy
- Learn more about Mental Health in America and Virginia
- Watch our Legislative Advocacy 101 Video on YouTube
Mental Health Advocacy Day is a chance for Mental Health Advocates from across the Commonwealth to come together and learn about legislative priorities, discuss advocacy strategies, network with other mental health advocates, and remind our state legislators that mental health matters!
Policy Overview and Key Issues
- NAMI Virginia’s 2021 General Assembly Session Bill Chart (Updated 1/20/2021)
- NAMI Virginia’s 2021-2022 Legislative Priorities
- NAMI Virginia’s Key Policy Issues
- Principles, Vision, and Policy Priorities for Virginia’s System Transformation
- Talking Points on Police and Mental Health
- NAMI Virginia’s 2020 Legislative Summary
- NAMI Virginia’s 2020 Special Session Bill Tracking Chart
2021 Bill Chart – Updated 1/20/2021Bill Chart - NAMI VA - 2021 Session - updated 1.20.21 - pdf
2021 – 2022 Legislative PrioritiesNAMI Virginia Legislative Priorities 2021 - 2022
General Assembly Archive
Learn about NAMI Virginia’s role in the Virginia General Assembly, regional budget hearings, priorities, outcomes and successes.
Watch a presentation about the basics of the Virginia General Assembly, with many thanks to Delegate McClellan and her Chief of Staff, Abbey Philips.