- Virginia General Assembly
- Getting Involved
- Tools For Advocacy
- Who’s My State Legislator?
NAMI Virginia’s ongoing advocacy work builds support for public policies to protect and improve mental health services, increases access to mental health services in the public and private sectors and supports effective recovery services for adults and children/adolescents with mental illness.
A recognized leader in advocacy in Virginia, we engage in sustained, ongoing campaigns by utilizing science-based research and information, developing and/or providing grassroots input into policies, building and participating in coalitions, and ensuring that the personal experience of those who have been affected by mental illness are part of the public policy and advocacy process.
We do not provide one-on-one advocacy, case management, counseling, legal resources/services, or client advocacy. If you are seeking assistance in that area try our Resources & Support Section for suggestions on how to find help.
NAMI Virginia’s Public Policy Overview and Key Issues
2019 NAMI Member’s Legislative Priorities
Every year, NAMI Virginia sends our members a survey on what they want to see NAMI advocate for in the upcoming legislative session. Below is a summary of the survey’s findings:2019 Membership Survey Summary
We also have a summary of findings from the 2016-2018 surveys here.
NAMI Virginia and its advocacy leaders provide or have provided representation at the following coalitions, committees, commissions, and task-forces:
- Governor’s Task Force on Mental Health Services and Crisis Response
- Campaign for Children’s Mental Health
- Virginia Center for Behavioral Health and Justice
- Governor’s Advisory Committee on Homelessness
- DBHDS System Transformation Initiative/Transformation Teams
- Healthcare for All Virginians
- Virginia Behavioral Health Advisory Council
- RISE for Youth Coalition
- Coordinating Committee to Promote Use of Advance Directives by People with Mental Illness
- Systems of Care Planning Team
- Just Children Campaign
- VA is for Siblings Leadership Network
- Project AWARE State Management Team
- SLAT (State and Local Advisory Team) – Part of the Children’s Service Act (CSA) structure