Home » About Us » NIMH Outreach
NAMI Virginia and the
NIMH Outreach Partnership Program
NAMI Virginia is pleased to have been selected as an Outreach Partner for the National Institute of Mental Health's (NIMH) Outreach Partnership Program. Our organization was selected based upon the recommendations of an outside review committee of experts. Beginning in September 2007 NAMI VA joins Outreach Partners in every state and the District of Columbia.
What is the NIMH Outreach Partnership Program?
The Outreach Partnership Program is a nationwide initiative of the NIMH’s Office of Constituency Relations and Public Liaison (OCRPL) with support from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) and in cooperation with the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
The Program enlists national and state organizations in partnerships to help bridge the gap between research and clinical practice by:
- disseminating the latest scientific findings;
- informing the public about mental disorders, alcoholism, and drug addiction;
- and reducing the stigma and discrimination associated with these illnesses.
The Program strives to increase public awareness about the importance of basic and clinical research in improving treatments for—and ultimately curing and preventing—mental illnesses and addiction disorders through advancing knowledge about the brain and behavior. The Program also provides NIMH with the opportunity to engage community groups across the U.S. in developing a national research agenda grounded in public health need.
Links, Resources, and Information about Clinical Trials
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- NIMH Outreach Partnership Program
- NIMH Clinical Trials
- NIH Clinical Trials
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) Clinical Trials
The NIMH Update: A Resource from NIMH
One of the benefits that NAMI Virginia receives from being part of the NIMH Outreach Partnership Program is receiving the NIMH Update twice per month. The NIMH Update is a succinct, categorized newsletter of the newest government resources for the mental health and substance abuse fields delivered via e-mail twice a month. The Update summarizes:
- New alcohol abuse, drug abuse, and mental disorders research;
- Federal grant opportunities;
- Materials, reports, and other tools that help targeted audiences gain a better understanding of mental illnesses, alcoholism, drug dependence disorders, the research programs of the NIH, and services support mechanisms of SAMHSA; and
- Federal government mental health/substance abuse related meetings, conferences and online presentations.